Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Seasonally Dry Skin Remedies

Usually I like to get my skin ready for the cold. I start by gradually introducing richer and richer products as the weather progressively drops. I slipped this year, because a couple of weeks ago it wasn’t that cold. Actually, Christmas in Toronto this year was green and balmy and in Canadian standards that is a one hot Christmas. So as the weather has dramatically dropped my skin is showing the signs of severe dryness. With the weather sitting in the double digit negatives here are some of my favourite dry skin remedies.

The Body
L'occitane Almond Shower Oil is a product that I heard about for years. People claimed this product to be the answer to dry winter skin. So I thought I would get the mini bottle to see for myself self.
DARN… this is like nothing I’ve ever tried in my life. This shower product starts off as an oil but once it hits the water it turns into a rich creamy lather.  Not only does it leave you smelling  amazing but it leaves your skin so hydrated you won’t even need a moisturizer. Total body winter must have and perfect for sensitive skin types too!

The Face
Not only does my skin get dry during the winter but it gets sensitive too. My winter go-to is Avene’s Skin Recovery Cream. This is the only cream I’ve encountered to date that is nourishing enough for my eczema yet light enough for the rest of my face. If you’re an eczema sufferer Avene is a brand that has worked wonders for me, I can’t recommend there products enough.

The Hands
This post wasn’t supposed to highlight only french brands but damn they seriously are the winter skin experts. For the hands I highly recommend NUXE’s Reve de Miel hand cream. This hand cream features shea butter, coconut butter, honey and a slew of other amazing ingredients. It leaves your hands instantly hydrated, but doesn’t leave a nasty residue. It also has the added benefit of smelling amazing, to the point where I wish they can somehow bottle the scent and sell it as a perfume.

The Lips
There are so many excellent choices out there such as Avene’s Cold Cream Lip Balm and the cult classic NUXE Reve De Miel. Even the Burt’s Bee’s lip balm is a solid choice. BUT my all-time favorite cold weather lip balm is the Blistex Lip Medex. Yes, I totally get there are fancier choices out there but nothing sooths chapped burning lips like the minty Lip Medex. If you’re a fan of minty lip products trust me you will love this!

So ladies since we can’t battle to cold with blow dryers, lets beat it with hydration.
What are some of your favorite hydrating products? leave me a comment.

10 comments:

  1. Ohh this is a such a good selection of hydrating, moisturising and nourishing products for combating dry skin! ^ ^

    www.thedailydollyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. My skin can get super dry during the winter, so extra hand cream and lip balm are a must! Nice picks :)

    -Jen

    www.vibrantbeautyblog.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. With the weather being so cold as of late my hands have taken a serious beating

      Delete
  3. I've heard so many good things about the loccitane almond range!

    Heather | Of Beauty & Nothingness

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's really really good stuff.
      I have been wanting there Almond body oil for a long time too.

      Delete
  4. Nuxe products are becoming my favourite brand . Great post. xox

    http://www.rainbowsandunicornsblog.co.uk/

    ReplyDelete
  5. *adds all of these to my cart* I'm usually a bit on the dry side of things, but I swear this winter has been ROUGH. I have this awful dry patch around my nose that makes me want to cry (not really, but ya get the point)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This winter has been really rough.
      Usually I've been prepared and start hydrating for months in advance.
      But this year it got cold so quick my skin has been taking a beating.
      Thank you for the comment and for visiting the blog!

      Delete